Permit and License Resources

Most small businesses do not need special permits. However, many do. To find out if you need one or more, consult local and state authorities having jurisdiction over your area of business (see list of agencies, below.) People in your trade or industry can often tell you.

While not technically a permit, every business should be registered. A corporation is registered with a state agency via papers of incorporation and a sole proprietorship and partnership register with a local county courthouse by way of an “assumed name certificate.” Contact your local SBDC to find out how to register your business name in Texas.

To incorporate your business with the Office of the Secretary of State.
Mailing Address:
Corporations Section
Secretary of State
P.O. Box 13697
Austin, TX 78711-3697

For information on businesses and occupations that require state permits:
Mailing Address:
Texas Department of Economic Development
P.O. Box 12428
Austin, TX 78711
(512) 936-0100 or (800) 888-0511

For information on all state and city regulatory agencies:
Mailing Address:
Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation
P.O. Box 12157
Austin, TX 78711
(512) 463-6599 or (800) 803-9202

Sales & Use Tax Permit:
Mailing Address:
Texas State Comptroller’s Office
PO Box 13528, Capitol Station
Austin, Texas 78711-3528
(512) 463-4600 or (800) 252-5555

Workers’ Compensation Information:
Mailing Address:
Texas Department of Insurance, Division of Workers’ Compensation (TDI-DWC)
P.O. Box 149104
Austin, TX 78714-9104
(512) 804-4000 or (800) 372-7713

Insurance Issues:
Mailing Address:
Texas Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 149104
Austin, TX 78714-9104
(512) 463-6169

Unemployment Tax:
Mailing Address:
Texas Workforce Commission
P.O. Box 149037
Austin, TX 78714-9037
(512) 463-2699 or (800) 832-9394 and choose option 1